1:1 Meetings - All team members or only some?
Busy managers often wonder whether they should have 1:1 meetings with all team members or just the direct reports and should they have 1:1s weekly, fortnightly or monthly.
Here are some rules of thumb for creating the 1:1 meeting cadence:
- Large organizations - weekly
- Small organizations - monthly
- Skip level manager with managers as direct reports - All direct reports plus 1/3rd team members selected at random.
- Manager with less than 5 direct reports - All team members.
- Managers with more than 5 direct reports - Minimum 1/3rd of the team selected randomly.