Hold effective career development conversations
Managers should hold career conversations at least quarterly and 1:1 meetings provide an excellent opportunity for the managers to hold these conversations.
Before holding a career conversation with the employee, a manager should do preparatory work by addressing the below questions:
- What is the employee currently doing?
- What does the employee enjoy doing?
- What are the appreciate and developmental feedbacks that the employee received so far in the performance cycle?
- What are the developmental needs of the employee?
- What are the strengths of the employee?
- What is the impact the employee is most proud of so far in the performance cycle?
- What future experiences that the employee is aspiring for?
- As a manager, how you can enable these future experiences?