What makes a good manager?
Google in its now famous research project called 'Project Oxygen" extensively studied the behaviours of a good managers over a period of time.
According to Google's research, 10 behaviours of good manager are:
- Is a good coach
- Empowers team and does not micromanage
- Creates an inclusive team environment, showing concerns for success and well being
- Is productive and results oriented
- Is a good communicator - listens and shares information
- Supports career development and discusses performance
- Has a clear vision/strategy for the team
- Has key technical skills to help advise the team
8 essential expectations of a good managerCollaborates across the organisation
What do employees expect from a good manager?
5 essential expectations from a good manager are:
- Team interest above personal interest
- Cares for both professional and personal well-being of the team
- Walks the talk by bridging the gap between intent and behaviour.
- Understands that each team member is different and sets the expectations accordingly
- Unblocks by setting clear goals and providing resources to execute.
- Let's the team own the outcomes even if they make mistakes
- Shares timely feedback, both appreciate and developmental
- Recognises frequently
- Is a strong decision maker.