What makes a great manager?
Google in its now famous research project called 'Project Oxygen" extensively studied the behaviours of a good managers over a period of time.
According to Google's research, 10 behaviours of good manager are:
- Is a good coach
- Empowers team and does not micromanage
- Creates an inclusive team environment, showing concerns for success and well being
- Is productive and results oriented
- Is a good communicator - listens and shares information
- Supports career development and discusses performance
- Has a clear vision/strategy for the team
- Has key technical skills to help advise the team
- Collaborates across the organisation
- Is a strong decision maker.