Overcoming unconscious bias - Promotion nominations
When recommending their team members for promotions, managers can take the below concrete set of actions to overcome specific types of biases.
- Availability bias - Narrow down the nomination list after evaluating the whole list
- Fundamental attribution error - Separately evaluate workplace and personal factors that affected the performance
- Recency, Horns & Halos, Availability Bias - Evaluate specific examples from the current role only. Including expectations from the future role amplifies these biases.
- Leniency Error, Self-serving Bias, Similar-to-me Bias, Horns & Halos - During the calibration process, especially for the candidates you are supporting, listen to the alternate perspectives.
- Stereotype-based Biases - Imagining the employee under a different social group and verifying if the promotion nomination would still be the same